WrapIt is a flexible ultrasonic phased array probe that conforms to the shape of the component.
Phoenix WrapIt Scanner
A flexible array transducer is housed in a rubber enclosure that both protects and pre-forms the array, allowing adaptability to scan parts with changing curvature.
Typical applications for WrapIt include curved composite laminates found in:
- Aerospace: wing spars, aerofoils, stringers, leading edge
- Marine: mast, hull, rigging, rudders
- Wind Energy: blade spar, leading edge
- Motor Racing: aerodynamic components
The array can be easily interchanged between rubber housings to scan different radii. Every housing is suitable for inspecting a range of radii without any mechanical adjustment required.
Attached to the WrapIt is a wheel encoder positioned to run on the radius so it is clear of panel cut outs and gaps. The high resolution encoder is waterproof and sprung loaded onto the part giving a stable and reliable operation.
WrapIt incorporates low friction plastic skids to provide stability and a smooth scanning motion.
Within WrapIt, between the array transducer and the component is a flexible rubber delay line. This is accompanied by couplant irrigation channels that feed water to the front face of the probe providing consistent continuous coupling of the ultrasound.
- Conforms to the shape of the component or inspection surface
- Simple inspection setup as probe is always normal to the surface
- No adjustment needed when scanning a changing radius
- Cost effective for multiple geometries as a single transducer can be used in several housings
- Compatible with standard phased array instruments